EKG Testing Clinic in Parrish, FL
EKG testing is a painless test that records the electrical impulses from the heart in order to promptly detect cardiac issues and keep an eye on the condition of your heart. Our board-certified providers at PrimeHealth Urgent Care, provide EKG testing to investigate the root cause of cardiac disorders, enabling an accurate diagnosis and tailored treatment. We are located at 8927 US-301, Suite 210, Parrish, FL 34219. For more information, please contact us or book an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
EKG stands for electrocardiography, which is the process of recording the electrical activity of the heart in the form of a trace on paper or a computer monitor. The machine that produces the tracing is called an electrocardiograph, and the information that it conveys on paper (or digitally) is known as an electrocardiogram. The electrical activity of the heart is caused by the depolarization and repolarization of cardiac cells. The depolarization of the atria is caused by the spread of electrical current through the atria. This electrical activity is detected by an EKG, which can diagnose several cardiovascular conditions.
An EKG is a versatile diagnostic tool that can help determine the following heart conditions:
• Heart Attack
• Coronary Artery Disease
• Aortic Aneurysms
If you have an increased risk of heart disease, a pacemaker, or are taking medication for an existing heart condition, your doctor may recommend routine EKG tests. While the procedure is completely safe, the American Heart Association advises against mass EKG testing for children and adolescents because fatal heart conditions are uncommon in this age group. Cardiac disease is more common in middle-aged and older adults, particularly those with a family history of heart disease.
When a patient presents the following symptoms, a doctor may also order an EKG scan:
• Irregular pulse
• Increased heart rate
• Shortness of breath
• Heart palpitations
• Tightness and pain in the chest
• Muscle weakness
Getting an EKG is a simple and quick procedure. The EKG test only takes about three minutes once you are on the exam table and the electrodes are attached. Although the procedure is completely painless, some people experience skin irritation when the technician removes the electrodes. After the test, most people can resume their normal activities. It may take several days for your doctor to contact you with the results of your EKG test. If your scan appears abnormal, you may require additional diagnostic testing.
Yes, an EKG does show blockages, primarily those that are the result of coronary heart disease. When blood flow is restricted due to a buildup of plaque in the arteries, this causes changes in the circulatory system that can be detected by an EKG.
An EKG is performed similarly and should be consistent from one practice to another, whether you are in a doctor’s office, outpatient clinic, or ambulance. This process involves:
• So that the doctor can easily access the patient’s upper body, the patient is asked to remove their shirt or change into a hospital gown.
• The electrodes must be able to adhere to the skin, so the healthcare provider may need to shave a few areas to achieve this.
• The patient is instructed to lie down on the exam table; the nurse or technician will apply about 10 small adhesive sensors called electrodes to the patient’s chest, arms, and/or legs.
• So the machine can capture accurate results, the patient is instructed to lie as still as possible during the test.
• The electrodes connect to wires that transmit the electrical activity of the patient’s heart to a computer; the computer monitor displays the patient’s heart’s activity and will record the results digitally or print them on paper (digital EKG is much more common).
• When the test is complete, a doctor will review the results for signs of heart disease, and discuss the results with the patient.
Come to PrimeHealth Urgent Care for your next EKG! Call us today to book an appointment at our EKG testing clinic, or visit us conveniently located at 8927 US-301, Suite 210, Parrish, FL 34219. We serve patients from Parrish FL, Ellenton FL, Foxleigh FL, Palmetto FL, Fort Hammer FL, Willow FL, and surrounding areas. We look forward to serving you!
Additional Services You May Need
Additional Services You May Need
• Sports Injuries
• Bug & Animal Bites
• BV Testing
• COVID Testing
• Drug Testing
• EKG Testing
• Flu Testing/ Flu Vaccine
• Foreign Body Removal
• Laceration Repair
• Minor Burn Treatment
• Pelvic Exams
• Strep Testing
• STD Testing
• Fractures, Sprains, & Strains
• Splinting Treatment
• School & Sports Physicals
• TB Testing
• Tetanus Shot
• Urgent Care
• Wound Care
• Work Injuries
• Internal Lab Services
• Occupational Medicine
• Employment Physicals
• Common Cold
• Auto Injuries
• Weight Loss