Ear Infection Treatment Clinic in Parrish FL
A virus or bacteria that infects the area beneath the eardrum causes an ear infection. People having ear infections may experience severe pain, fuzziness or irritability, fever, or difficulty sleeping. Visit our clinic today and get treated by our experienced professional board-certified doctors. For more information, contact us or book an appointment online. Walk-ins are welcome. We are located at 8927 US-301, Suite 210, Parrish, FL 34219.
Table of Contents:
Ear infections are a very common ailment in both childhood and adulthood. They can occur in any part of the ear (outer, middle, or inner), but often happen as a result of fluid building up in the middle ear. This area of the ear is the air-filled space behind the eardrum that contains tiny hearing bones. Ear infections often follow a cold and are more common in children than adults because of the structure of their ear canal and their immune systems. Ear infections can be painful because of the buildup of fluid and pressure in the ear, but with proper treatment, they typically heal without further complications.
The causes of ear infections can vary depending on the area of the ear that is affected.
• Inner Ear — An inner ear infection (otitis interna) is most commonly caused by a viral infection, such as influenza, herpes, Epstein-Barr, and polio. Symptoms of an inner ear infection include vertigo; difficulty balancing or walking normally; dizziness; nausea or vomiting; difficulty hearing; feeling of fullness or pressure in the ear; tinnitus (ringing in the ear); earache; headache; and discharge draining from the ear.
• Middle Ear — A middle ear infection (otitis media) occurs when a virus or bacteria causes the area behind the eardrum to become inflamed, red, and swollen. Symptoms of a middle ear infection include ear pain, especially when lying down; discharge draining from the ear; difficulty hearing; headache; and loss of appetite.
• Outer Ear — An outer ear infection (otitis externa) is caused when water becomes trapped in the ear, which is most common after swimming or bathing. The excess water trapped in the ear canal creates a moist environment that promotes the proliferation of bacteria or fungi growth. Symptoms of an outer ear infection include itching; swelling and redness; difficulty hearing; jaw pain and pain with chewing; swollen lymph nodes around the ear; and cloudy, yellow, or pus-like discharge draining from the ear.
While it can be difficult to tell the difference between a viral and bacterial ear infection, especially in the beginning, there are a few signs and symptoms to look out for that indicate the cause of an ear infection. For example, if an ear infection occurs while recovering from a cold or flu, it is much more likely that a viral ear infection is culpable. If strep throat or pneumonia symptoms were present, there is a greater chance that the ear infection is bacterial. Viral ear infections are shorter in duration; if the infection goes away within a week, it is likely viral, but if it persists longer than ten days, it is likely bacterial.
The signs and symptoms of an ear infection can indicate several conditions, many of which are serious and require professional medical intervention. While more than 80 percent of ear infections heal on their own without medical treatment, there are certain signs and symptoms that indicate a serious infection, and prompt medical attention is needed. These include:
• Symptoms lasting longer than a week
• Ear pain is severe
• Occurs alongside a high-grade fever (over 104ºF)
• Discharge of fluid from the ear
If you are experiencing the symptoms of an ear infection, trust the medical professionals at PrimeHealth Urgent Care to provide you with a higher level of care. Call us today to book an appointment with our ear infection treatment specialist, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 8927 US-301, Suite 210, Parrish, FL 34219. We serve patients from Parrish FL, Ellenton FL, Foxleigh FL, Palmetto FL, Fort Hammer FL, Willow FL, and surrounding areas. We look forward to serving you!
Additional Services You May Need
Additional Services You May Need
• Sports Injuries
• Bug & Animal Bites
• BV Testing
• COVID Testing
• Drug Testing
• EKG Testing
• Flu Testing/ Flu Vaccine
• Foreign Body Removal
• Laceration Repair
• Minor Burn Treatment
• Pelvic Exams
• Strep Testing
• STD Testing
• Fractures, Sprains, & Strains
• Splinting Treatment
• School & Sports Physicals
• TB Testing
• Tetanus Shot
• Urgent Care
• Wound Care
• Work Injuries
• Internal Lab Services
• Occupational Medicine
• Employment Physicals
• Common Cold
• Auto Injuries
• Weight Loss